Monday, June 15, 2009

My Recent Reading List


FINALLY, after sitting on my book shelf for over two years collecting dust I was able to read the last Harry Potter book. A.R. got it as a gift for me in December 2007 and I just finished reading it in May...see what Grad school does to a girl?! I honestly can't remember the last time I read a book that wasn't a textbook or required by a professor for the shear joy and fun of it. I was always a book worm growing up and now I'm happy to get back into reading a book a month. My favorite authors include Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, and Dick Francis to name a few.

I've greatly enjoyed the Harry Potter series, but I have to say that book 7 was a bit long and pretty much the first half of the book could've been omitted and still told the story successfully. I did enjoy reading how the author tied everything together and ended with a look forward to Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermoine's children traveling off to Hogwarts. BUT, but I feel like she left it open for a sequel (the last horcrux lost in the woods could still be rediscovered by accident, right?!) and that disappointed me a bit. I hope she doesn't reconsider and Book 7 remains Harry Potter's last.

I also read a memoir written by one of my favorite Glamour bloggers, Christine Coppa (Storked!). Her book is called Rattled! and it is about her life as a single mom coming to grips with life as she discovers herself single and pregnant at 26. It was a quick read and a great book with a Sex & the City meets suburbia twist. I look forward to her next book (and I hope there is one!).
Lily & I enjoying Rattled!
Next up on my list is a book by another (former) Glamour blogger, Erin Zammett. It's called "My (So-Called) Normal Life" and talks about her diagnosis of cancer in 2001 at age 23. Her blog just ended on Glamour and she is now happily married with one son and another baby on the way. I can't wait to read her book as I remember the very first article I read about her in Glamour many years ago. She is a strong woman and a survivor in more ways then one.

H

0 comments:

Post a Comment