Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy 4th of July!


The aroma of cupcakes baking is wafting through the air as we get ready to go to my sister-in-law's for an evening of family, food, and fireworks. After spending last weekend with my family I'm looking forward to spending this evening with A.R.'s family. As crazy as our families are I'm so glad we have them in our lives. I can't believe this year is half over now...it is flying by! This time last year I was doing frantic last minute wedding preparations, psyching myself up not to be terrified at my bridal shower, and our house was just a cement foundation poured into a mound of mud. Crazy, huh?!

Last night after the thunderstorms passed we did some serious weeding in our vegetable garden. The grass and weeds were starting to take over and it was hard to see our vegetables. This morning we woke up early to beat the heat and the storms and did two more hours of weeding. I was so excited to see the tiniest baby bean staring to grow! Our squash, watermelon, and one surviving pumpkin are growing well with the lack of sun and tons of rain. The tomato plants are catching up and the cucumbers are now blooming. After weeding both days our garden actually looks like a garden again. I think after one more weeding frenzy tomorrow I'll beat the weeds at their own game of course I'm not sure my legs and back will forgive me. I must say that gardening is hard work and I got a good workout the last two days digging all the roots up. Who knew that weeding was really a great workout involving squats and lunges?!

Have a Happy 4th! I'm off to frost some cupcakes for dessert.
H

0 comments:

Post a Comment