Saturday, July 18, 2009

Adventures in Gardening- Part 3


Heather, Heather quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.

Our garden is doing wonderfully now that the sun had come out and I've won the battle of the weeds. We ended up not planting about 4 rows in our garden so I let the weeds/grass stay there to lure the slugs and any other critters into the area away from my vegetable plants. Here are some pictures I took on July 14th of our garden and the first "fruits" (should I say veggies?) of our labor. I have to give all those farmers out there a lot of props. Gardening is a lot harder and a lot more work then I ever dreamed it would be and I barely have anything planted in our plot!
Top L- 2 watermelon plants, bottom left pumpkin, the empty looking row has 3 carrot plants growing, and the tomatoes are on the right.
R-L: Cucumbers (front) & beans, more cucumbers, Butternut Squash, Dixie Squash, tomatoes
The "fruits" of our labor are going to pay off, I think. Here is one of our 3 green beans growing.
Next year we already have plans to add in corn, zucchini, strawberries, and maybe even some peppers although I'm not a huge fan of them. I just hope we get enough cucumbers so I can make some pickles for the winter and enough tomatoes so that I can can some tomato sauce. How awesome would it be to have fresh tomato sauce in the middle of winter? Yum-to-the E!

H

0 comments:

Post a Comment