Thursday, May 26, 2011

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian


I really enjoyed this book from start to finish.  I was actually pleasantly surprised that it wasn't about what I really thought it would be...all babies and home birthing experiences cover to cover.  My favorite part of the book was that it was told from the perspective of the midwive's daughter, Connie.  How very creative to tell the story from that angle.  There was mention of births and blood in the novel, but it was really about the trial of Sibyl Danforth, Connie's mother, a midwife who lost a patient and fought to save the life of her unborn baby by doing a c-section in the women's home.  If your squeamish don't hesitate to give this book a shot.  It really isn't about labor and afterbirth.

I'm really bummed that I had the opportunity to meet this author at my local library not five minutes from my house, but M got sick and had another explosion on my way out the door, so alas I was needed at home.  The pleading eyes of A.R. and M kicked me into mommy duty.  His eyes said, "please don't leave me here alone with another potential poo-splosion moments away" while her eyes pleaded because what child doesn't want extra snuggles with Mom when they aren't feeling well?!  Alas, I missed meeting Mr. Bohjalian, but I did thoroughly enjoy his writing and would definitely recommend you add this book to your reading list.  I hope to read more novels by him in the future as well.

Next book: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

0 comments:

Post a Comment