Monday, September 19, 2011

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline


I didn't read the synopsis of this book before I picked it up at the library for my bookclub and had I done that, I doubt I would've read it.  Adoption hits a little too close to home for me.  I can only imagine what my parents would have gone through had they been in the same position as Ellen Gleeson in the novel.  My two younger siblings were adopted and my sister wasn't officially "ours" until a full year after her adoption took place because her father was unknown or what they called a John Doe on her adoption paperwork.  We very well could have lost her, had her birth father come forward and I know that while my mother did not give birth to her, it would've tormented her to have to give her up again. 

I can also empathize on Ellen's need for closure and to have to follow through on her discovery even if it meant the worst for her in the end.  It is possible for an adoptive parent to love as much as a biological one and it IS possible for them to feel that mother's intuition.  This book was emotional for me.  Having placed a child of my own for adoption, I have felt what it's like to love and lose.  To give birth and then he is no more.  Yes, he's alive and thriving and the decision I made was my own and the best for my son, but it doesn't make it an easy one.  I grieved for many years just like a mother who lost a child does.  In this story, Ellen was really a true mother.  I don't want to say too much without giving the storyline away, but if you read this book have some tissues nearby.  I know I needed them!  It was well-written and an easy read...just a little extra emotional for me.

1 comments:

Brasil said...

Scottoline presents Ellen's innermost thoughts during poignant moments in the plot through the use of italics, and drops names of modern brands and designers - Ellen's Dansko clogs and Will's green Jell-O, indications of the novel's present setting. The physical character descriptions are successfully captured through small details. As all good writers, Scottline is successful in showing the reader the story, rather than merely telling.

Post a Comment