Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Operation Veggie Garden 2010


We might be a little crazy...ok, maybe a lot crazy...but we're doing a vegetable garden once again this year only this time I have my little bambina to care for, too. It could get interesting trying to keep up with the garden, but my father-in-law has promised to help out. He has a friend that is letting us borrow his rototiller to get the soil ready and is convinced that we should plant based off of his 2010 Farmer's Almanac. We also went an extra step and got permission from the town to plant our garden in the wetlands that are part of our property. They aren't very "wet" per say, but we do worry that the water table might be a little high in that area of our yard and cause the roots to rot. There's only one way to find out and that's to try planting there, so this year we're going to give it a go.
I started the seedlings inside last week for some of the veggies and the rest (carrots) I'll start directly in the ground once the soil is tilled (and the Farmer's Almanac says it's a good planting day!) next month. I really hope that if anything, we get some tomatoes this year so I can can them for homemade tomato sauce. The tomato blight in the Northeast last year wiped our plants out completely. This year's garden will be extra special if we can grow some vegetables that I can make into baby food for Mariela. I hope to make some of her first foods for her and will freeze them in ice cube trays in individual portion sizes.
This year's garden will include: tomatoes, corn, broccoli, green beans, carrots, squash, and pumpkin. My father-in-law is going to grow some Spanish peppers that my mother-in-law uses to flavor her Spanish rice and we also bought two raspberry bushes to plant in our yard as well. I hope to grow enough squash, pumpkin, beans, and carrots to feed Mariela and our family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment