Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson


One of my bookclubs read this book for October and I had to wait forever for it on hold as Tropical Storm Irene flooded our library's youth section and the copies they had were put in storage (Pack Rat containers) while the clean-up took place.  I didn't realize that it was a "teen" novel when my club first selected it.  It was a quick read for me and also quite obvious what happened from the beginning (although I don't think the author was trying to hide it per say).  I felt myself ache for the girl in the novel and I wondered why she couldn't "speak".  I got angry at her in portions for not just saying something.  It definitely did a good job of depicting the tough years that can be high school for most teens and pre-teens when you just don't quite fit in with any particular clique in addition the underlying reason why Melinda was silent.  I definitely wouldn't have chosen to read this on my own, but I'm glad to step outside my little box every now and then.  I'm sure my daughter will probably read it one day.

1 comments:

Danmark said...

Speak was a very real and dramatic traumatic and great experience for me to read. It was such a realistic situation and the author did a great job with getting you involved with the characters feelings and life syle. It left you hanging at the end which made it suspensful and exciting and mysterious too.

Post a Comment