Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Run, Mama! Run!


This post is so very, very late but it's better late than never, right?!  A month ago I ran in my first 5k with my older brother in Boston, MA.  Running in a 5k was an item that both my brother and I had on our bucket lists to complete and what a better way to do it (and remain motivated) than to run for charity.  We named our little team of two the Bucket Listers and set about fundraising for the HIV/AIDS Action Committe of Boston.  I'm very proud to say that we both finished the 5k in just under 45 minutes (my time was 44:45) and raised $440 to help in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
Registered and ready to run
The race was run along the Charles River in Boston with beautiful scenery and gorgeous weather.  We were also fortunate that there were no hills to contest on the race route! :P  My brother made the trip to Boston from sunny Florida and brought his boyfriend along with him.  It was so great to finally meet him and discover that he is absolutely perfect for my brother.  They are such a cute couple and both look so happy together.
Almost to the finish line...
A.R. got to bond with my brother's boyfriend while we ran the race (they were our cheerleaders along with Miss M) and said that he was such a nice guy.  M loved watching as the racers finished and cheered and clapped them along.  There were about 700 racers on race day and the winner finished in just under 17 minutes (EEK!), so she had a lot of cheering to do before her Uncle and I made it to the finish line.
We finished!
After the race we all hung out for the health fair that the walk was hosting and got great samples from various companies that sell prodcuts at local Whole Food stores.  Then, we stuck around for some of the entertainment after the walkers finished their walk before calling it a day and heading out to Fanuel Hall for a late lunch at Cheer's.
My brother's bf, me, big bro
Both my brother and I have "the bug" now and are itching to do another race.  He lives in prime 5k country down in Florida, so he could do one almost every weekend if he wanted to.  I'm going to look to do another one the end of August here in Connecticut and maybe a third one in October??!!  Running in the race and finishing was such a high.  Now, I want to do it again to improve on my time and better my own fitness level.  I hope to use 5ks as a motivation to keep my new gym routine up.  Maybe someday I'll be able to try a 10k...HA!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That's quite an accomplishment. I doubt I could run even a 1K (if there is such a thing... shows how much I know about running! ha!)Great job, and good luck on the run coming up next month!

Crystal said...

Congrats!!

Post a Comment