Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant


I have to say that I absolutely LOVED this book!  It was set back in Biblical times and is supposed to be the story of Dinah from the Book of Genesis Chapter 34.  The story is from Dinah's perspective and depicts the life of women in that era.  I found it completely fascinating how the author protrayed what biblical times were like for women in Dinah's era.  Some of her writing is based off research of events that really happened in that era, but the rest is pure fabrication and I find her thoughts and details entrancing.  After reading this novel, I believe I will now dabble around and read more historical fiction novels.

Dinah is the only surviving daughter of Jacob and Leah in the Old Testament times.  This story is of her life from birth to death.  I found myself laughing and crying with her and I could easily relate to her character.  Perhaps it's because the author depicted her as a fellow Piscean?!  I love the details Anita provided in the story and reading about life where men had more than one wife (and it was acceptable) was interesting.

Even A.R. commented on how I just couldn't put the book down throughout the last half of it.  I had a few super late nights up reading this one which, to me, is a sign of a good book.  Here is a link to Anita's website with more details and FAQs on this novel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment