Thursday, March 10, 2011

She's been pierced!


At long last I got the all clear from A.R. to get M's ears pierced.  Thank you to the half dozen or so strangers that commented on what a cute little boy we had. :)  Of course there were stipulations in order to get said piercings...he didn't want to be there (he doesn't want her to think HE caused the pinches she'd feel in her ears), it's my job to clean them, and I should just "get it done".  Well, get it done- I did!
Unrolling the exam room paper is AWESOME.
I scheduled an appointment last week to have it done at our pediatrician's office yesterday on my day off from work.  M was fast asleep when we first arrived at the doctor's office and I thought they'd take advantage of her slumber to at least mark the earring spots on her ears while she slept.  No dice.  We had to wait for an infant room with a higher table and by the time it was open, M had woken up.  Of course she was all smiles and cheerful until the pediatrician took out the pen and tried to mark her ears.  She started crying as soon as we tried to hold her still.  What can I say?  My girl is a free spirit already and hates restriction.
Oh sweet, unsuspecting gal
After we had the dots marked and parent approved a nurse came in and we laid M on the exam table.  I held down her arms, while the nurse held her head, and the doctor did piercing number one in a second.  They gave her a break to recoup and I gave her, her paci and a cuddle and then we braced for ear #2.  We had her down, but the piercing gun jammed.  The doctor pulled the trigger, but it wouldn't go so we were holding M down a bit longer than she liked and she got pissed.  Finally, after what seemed like hours (more like 15 seconds) her 2nd hole was done and she cuddled with me, sniffling, with her paci.  The doctor handed me the instructions for cleaning her piercings, which M promptly took from me.  She bawled every time I tried to take the instructions away from her, so I think she thought it was like a lollipop for a job well done. :)
I tried to take the instructions away from her and it brought on more tears...OOPS! (the black on her forehead are ashes from Ash Wed)
By the time we got home she was back to her normal self and playing with her dogs and all her toys.  A.R. got out of school early last night or he wouldn't have seen her until this morning.  As soon as he opened the door he noticed her earrings and said, "What did you do?!  Oh my goodness, you did it.  Why did you pick those earrings?!"  Yes, his first thought was that he didn't like the plain gold studs the pedi's office provided.  He then of course promptly apologized to her, cuddled her, and said it was all my fault and my idea.  I told him he could pick her out her first teeny tiny diamond studs next year and at the same time buy her mommy a larger matching adult version if he didn't like the gold studs that much. :P  Today, she didn't even notice her earrings until I cleaned them morning and night.  My mother-in-law gushed over them and thinks she looks even more like a girl now...her challenge is keeping my nephew, J, away from them when I'm at work as he has an ear fetish and likes to pull other peoples ears when he's sleepy.  No joke, the kid is funny (he's 1 1/2).
Ready to go home back in the waiting room with her pretty ears.
Baby girl, you are beautiful with or without your adorable tiny earrings.  I hope you forgive me for helping to hold you down while the piercings were done...I know one day you'll like the fact I didn't make you wait to get your ears pierced until you were older.  Trust me.  That's a good thing...your Mama got her ears done when she was older and it took a long time for them to heal as I always played with them or showed my friends and they were constantly infected.  I love you my angel.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

AWE!!!!

~Jaime~ said...

I think the diamond earrings for both are a fabulous idea! :) The ones I wear in my second hole are tiny, but would be perfect for M!

Post a Comment