Saturday, February 05, 2011

Heebie Jeebies


Have you ever watched a movie that just left you with an odd feeling afterwards?  Like a case of the Willies, a sour taste, or the Heebie Jeebies?  We watched the movie Shutter Island the other day through Netflix and it left both A.R. and I creeped out.  It starred Leonardo DiCaprio with Michelle Williams and Mark Ruffalo and was set in 1954 on an island that housed the most dangerous criminally insane.  I figured out about a third of the way through that the main character WAS the patient, but it didn't make the movie any less horrifying.  If you haven't seen it, I don't want to ruin it for you, but it involved the murders of three children and a wife.  When I watch movies now that involve the senseless deaths of little ones I can't help but feel deeply for the characters.  Now that I have a daughter of my own, I can't imagine losing her and this movie made me think of what I'd do if I did lose her.  Those thoughts terrify me.  Ultimately, I don't know what I'd do, how I'd react, or how I'd change as a person after losing a child (especially if it was by way of murder), but I know it wouldn't be good.  I know it's just a story and the chances of it happening in my lifetime is slim to none, but what creeps me out is someone- a real, live human being- thought of this story and all it's unsettling details.

Another Leo movie that comes to mind as equally Heebie Jeebie inducing was with his co-star Kate Winslet called, Revolutionary Road.  That movie not only gave me the creeps it flat out pissed me off (Kate's character especially).  How does someone sane write these things?!  I know it's entertainment and some people really enjoy these types of movies, but I wonder what leads them to dream these stories of heartache, hurt children, and death up.  It was always unsettling for me before becoming a parent to see movies like the two mentioned here, but I feel my feelings are magnified now.  I start thinking, "oh my gosh, what if..."?  Perhaps that's what the authors intend.  To invoke emotions and compassion for those characters left suffering.

Tonight we watched Julie & Julia and I have to say that movie was much more my style. :)  It was actually a sweet movie and I could relate to all the characters.  I still have a bad taste in the back of my mouth from Shutter Island that will be there awhile, so I think I'll stick with some chick flicks and Romantic Comedies for awhile.  I need me my feel good movies!

0 comments:

Post a Comment