Saturday, June 12, 2010

Operation Garden 2010- Update 2


The week leading up to Memorial Day we finally got all the vegetables planted in our garden thanks to the help of my parents-in-law. My mother-in-law helped watch Mariela so I could plant and my father-in-law provided his expertise with gardening and helped me plant my rows (after consulting his Farmer's Almanac, of course!). I only took up about 1/3 of the garden space he cleared out, so I let him plant the rest of the space with his own veggies. We'll share whatever is produced in the end. So far everything appears to be growing well despite losing a plant here and there after transplanting the seedlings. A.R. left the sprinkler on overnight last week, but luckily the soil drained well and no damage was done. We are battling slugs again this year and we've seen a bunny hopping around the broccoli twice now, so we have to finish putting the fence up.

Here's what we are growing: spanish peppers, corn, broccoli, squash, cucumbers, pumpkin, watermelon (I planted the seeds directly into the ground, but it might be too late for them), beans (only 2 plants appear to have survived the transplant into the garden), carrots, tomatoes, and strawberries. A.R. and I also planted one raspberry, one blackberry, and one blueberry bush along the border of the garden and hope to add a few more eventually to make a natural fence to shield the deer fence. Now, we wait. Grow little vegetables (and fruits!), grow!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment