Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Adventures in Sewing


My mom taught me how to sew with a sewing machine when I was in middle school, but it’s been years since I actually made something. For my graduation back in May my grandmother got me a brand new Singer sewing machine and I’ve started putting it to good use. After researching curtains to buy for our house and counting the number of windows we have that I want to decorate, it became apparent how expensive my taste in window treatments is.

The curtains I made for our guest room:

004

So, I took on the task of making the curtains myself and now a full year after moving in our home I’ve actually finished the curtains for our guest room and made the sheer panels for our formal living room. I have the fabric and patterns available (from Joanne’s Fabrics) for the windows and sliding door in our kitchen/solarium and hope to finish them before the baby is born.

The sheer panels I made for our Formal LR:

Formal LR panels (2)

Right now, the formal living room is just going to be sheer panels until we decide on colors for that room, but the kitchen and solarium will have sheer panels with sage green jabots and valances. Here is the pattern I’ve been using by Simplicity (top right photo shows the valances, and jabots with non-sheer panels, my jabots will hang lower on the sides and my long panels are sheer):

Curtain Pattern 5474- Solarium

0 comments:

Post a Comment